[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
- To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
- Subject: Re: discipline
- From: "Jack C. Thompson" <tcl@TELEPORT.COM>
- Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 00:54:18 -0500
- Message-Id: <199902270554.VAA21158@palimpsest.Stanford.EDU>
- Sender: "Book_Arts-L: READ THE FAQ at http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey" <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
Back in the days when I employed staff things got so bad that I asked my
secretary to write up a schedule for me.
There were 300-400 calls/month, staff to hire/train/supervise, my own work
to do at the bench, workshops to organize/conduct, etc.
The schedule never worked. Old clients would come by on the spur of the
(their) moment; new clients would show up without appointments; there would
be a fire/flood salvage job, etc., and the schedule went all to hell.
These days, my card does not give my address. It says, "By appointment"
and I work through the night (I like the quiet hours).
It works for me, but it took 20 years to get there.
Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Laboratory
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, OR 97217