[Table of Contents] [Search]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: query: colleges with book arts programs

There was a thread on this topic a few years ago; it will be in the
archives for 1996, I think.  There was some discussion at that time of
colleges and universities that offered graduate degrees and certificates.

The Canadian Bookbinders and Book Artists Guild (CBABG) website
(http://www.cbabg.ca/) has a very nice list of web links
(http://www.cbbag.ca/links.html), including a section of links to schools
and organizations.

The Book Arts Directory (http://www.bookarts.com/98badw.html) also has a
list of schools and book arts workshops, though many of these are not
associated with degree-granting institutions.

I think there are more college-level book arts programs than in the past.
Here are the ones I know about:

Mills College, Oakland, CA (women's college)
undergraduate minor in book arts

Oregon College of Art and Craft, Portland, OR
BFA in book arts

SUNY Purchase, Purchase, NY
BFA in printmaking/art of the book

University of the Arts, Philadelphia, PA
offers a BFA (http://www.uarts.edu/colprog/pcad/printbook.html) and MFA
(http://www.uarts.edu/colprog/pcad/mfabookprt.html) in printmaking/book

University of California, Santa Cruz, CA
art department (http://arts.ucsc.edu/art/) offers 2 courses in book arts

California College of Arts and Crafts, Oakland & San Francisco, CA
offers courses in book arts as a part of their printmaking department

City College of San Francisco, San Francisco, CA
offers courses in bookbinding and book design

Colorado College, Colorado Springs, CO
the art department (http://www.ColoradoCollege.edu/Dept/AH/) offers some
courses in book arts, and the college has a fine press, which employs
students (http://www.ColoradoCollege.edu/Dept/AH/Press/Default.html)

University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
art department (http://www.soemadison.wisc.edu/art/) offers courses in
graphic design and typography, paper making, artists' books, etc., and the
college has a fine press, the Silver Buckle Press

Wellesley College, Wellesley, MA (women's college)
art department (http://www.wellesley.edu/Art/) offers courses in
printmaking which touch on the book arts, and a studio course in book
arts, and the college has a book arts studio

Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ
art department (http://www.asu.edu/cfa/art/) offers some courses in the
book arts in their printmaking department, and the college operates
Pyracantha Press (http://www.asu.edu/cfa/art/area/printmaking/press.html)

Minneapolis College of Art and Design, Minneapolis, MN
offers book arts courses through their printmaking deparmtent.  Also an
MFA in book arts

Reading University, Reading, Berkshire, UK
Department of Typography & Graphic Communication
(http://www.rdg.ac.uk/AcaDepts/lt/) offers a BA degree (and research
opportunities for M.Phil. and Ph.D. students)

Wells College, Aurora, NY (women's college)
operates the Wells College Press and the Class of 1932 Bindery
(http://www.wells.edu/bkarts/bindery1.htm) through its Book Arts Center
(http://www.wells.edu/bkarts/bkarts1.htm).  Courses in bookbinding,
printing, and paper arts (?)

Tamarind Institute, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM
offers a printer training program, which seems to be an unaccredited
program not directly associated with the university.

I hope this list has been helpful to you, and not too repetative.

Emily-Jane Dawson

College of Library and Information Services
University of Maryland
College Park, MD

[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]