[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
to Rommel John Miller and other depressed bookbinders......
- To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
- Subject: to Rommel John Miller and other depressed bookbinders......
- From: Cor Knops <email@example.com>
- Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 13:46:53 +0200
- Message-Id: <199907101146.EAA17754@palimpsest.Stanford.EDU>
- Organization: Knops Boekrestauratie
- Sender: "Book_Arts-L: READ THE FAQ at http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey" <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
On 9 Jul 99, at 20:47, Rommel John Miller wrote:
> I am giving up on my dream to become a bookbinder, the VA won't
> fund my study of it, they say that I would not be able to support myself
> if I become a bookbinder/conservator. I hate the VA; I hate myself.
When you want to become a bookbinder just BE one ! Don't rely on
regulations, conventions, approvals, diploma's or whatsoever.
We had interesting conversations in the past about our (yes, our)
profession and to me you are a bookbinder and artist in heart and soul.
Just in case you didn't know: I have no official education in bookbinding and
restoration. I just started working and learned the basis working 3 years in
a bookrestoration-workshop. Then I thought it would be good to begin on
my own. And there I was: a bookbinder/restorer. Now I'm working for
museums (done the restoration of the sketchbooks of Vincent van Gogh),
university-libraries and many other institutions and private clients. Why ?
Because they trust me in what I do and how I work. Why ? Because I trust
myself and work hard (also on selfeducation..).
So please don't give up ! I'm sure lot's of people think the same way about
Conservation & Restoration of Books and Paper
6151 CS Munstergeleen
phone 00 31 46 4200024
fax 00 31 46 4110180
Also have a look at our Book Information Website:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~knops/index3.htm and on