Re: Learn this/from an old crank

>Date:    Thu, 30 Sep 1999 23:30:49 -0700
>From:    Mary Jeanne Linford <mjlinford@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
>Subject: Response to Re: Learn this
>
>Thank you for this support of arts education.  Not all art educators are
>charlatans following the latest rage.  Some of us actually teach the
>basics, and understand that communication and artistic integrity are
>important.

I understand and appreciate the sentiment, but my experience was not under
your tutelage.

In Junior High School I took Art I; then my family moved to another town
and when I signed up for Art II, I was told that since I had not had Art I
at their school I had to take it over.  When I graduated into High School
I signed up for Art II, but was told that since I had not had two years of
Art under their system I would have to take Art I.

Later, as a college student, I remember the day when I sat in the student
union having a cup of coffee whilst reading a text book, and overheard a
student at the next table telling his peers that he was going to be a
teacher because he knew that he could alway get a job.

My wife once came to me to ask that I not sign my children's report cards
because one of my children's teachers came to her in tears asking what I meant
when I returned a report card with the comment that I was not teaching my
children to be parrots (in response to the teacher's comment that my son
was not following the crowd.)

As my children went through school I went into their classrooms and taught
short sections about papermaking and papermarbling.

I am not particularly fond of teachers.  And my experience as a teacher has
provided me a great deal of interesting material.

Jack

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Laboratory
Portland, OR 97217