"... the future lies with words and books and parents and children ..."

This is slightly of the list's subject and on top of that, it is stolen from
today's NY Times', "Metropolitan Diary".
I hope the story is worth the trangressions.

It was the end of the day and I was leaving work at Scholastic, the children's media
company where I spend my days thinking about children and literacy. I got into
a cab heading
very slowly uptown when the driver's cell phone rang. I started to get really
irritated, about to
start spouting the Mayor's statistics about cab accidents and cell phones,
when the driver
turned to me and in halting English said: "It's my daughter. she's reading a
poem for
homework and needs to know what the word 'e'er' means."

"Let me talk to her," I said.

He handed me the phone and I asked her to read me the line of the poem. She
read the line
and clearly it was Shakespeare. I said "ever" and handed back the phone. He
said to his
daughter, "Did you say thank you?" and I assured him she had. He ended the
call but not
before telling her he loved her.

As we continued crawling uptown, I was convinced that our future still lies
with words and
books and parents and children like this.

JUDY CORMAN
--
Tel: 805-965-5574 / Fax 805-965-2414 / email: mrcinc@silcom.com
Websites: http://www.modelshops.com and http://www.papershops.com and