teachers

>Date:    Sun, 3 Oct 1999 21:45:35 -0700
>From:    Mary Jeanne Linford <mjlinford@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>

>How many teachers do you remember gave you a good educational
>experience?

In high school, Darlene Hardy and Fred Radke. Hardy was the daughter
of an Idaho newspaper publisher; she taught me about writing.  Radke was
a survivor of the March to Battan and he taught me Spanish.

Nine years after taking one year of Spanish from Mr. Radke I was a
college freshman who contested the college requirement that a student
must have taken two years of a high school foreign language to begin
with the second year of a college language course.  I passed the test.

Dr. Harrison was a good college English teacher.

A bad economics professor in college was surprised when I picked him
up by his jacket, jammed him into the wall and told him to stop F*****g
around.

One of my son's teacher's was in tears when she confronted my wife with
the comment which I wrote on his report card.  She had noted that he was
a good student, but did not always follow the crowd.  I wrote that I was
not teaching my children to be parrots.

I attended PTA meetings and volunteered in the schools when my children were
going to school.  I remember that it took three years to get rid of a
teacher who was abusing children in grades 1-3.

I teach my craft and have some sensitivity to matters related to the act
of teaching.  I also have some expectations of myself and other teachers.

When they are not met, I have no compunction about bringing my complaints
to the fore, and expect others to do the same.  Politness may be the grease
of human communication, but there are times when politness is not called
for, and education is one of those times.

Jack

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Laboratory
Portland, OR 97217