Re: Learn this

>At 10:35 10/1/99 -0500, you wrote:
>>As secondary
>>schools and colleges dump their drafting tables, rulers, paper and
>>pigmented sticks and pastes  in favor of computers, it seems that ( whether
>>or not you  agree) originality, freedom of choice and artistic fervor is
>>going to be on the increase as "the world" expresses itself in pixelated
>>words, images and sound.....recordable
>>and changeable on compact discs.  Aye  wot??
>>

>How does reducing ones choices to those provided by the programmer
>'increase creativity'?  Acess is certainly increased given the lemming like
>urge to put a computer on every [school] desk.  But our world will be the
>poorer for it, not richer.
>
>Derek L.

Hi Derek....Are we sure that our world will be poorer, not richer?  The lemming
effect, as you might call it,  is spreading and  enabling people all over
the world to obtain  information/images   in a microsecond , with
tremendous exchange of ideas and resulting artforms. These are flowing
world wide  on a scale never  even imagined before.  It is a different and
a new world  out there and we've seen only the very beginning of a
formidable trend  in information (art and all else)  availability and, yes,
much possible "manipulation"  ---which we may judge  creative or not
depending upon the pictures in our own minds.  The programmer creates a
program to be used on a computer as the artist sees fit, and there are many
different programs out there that can be "drawn"
upon.   ( I still like the feel of a brush in my hand so  continue to  give
a slight nod to the Luddites)...........BEST to you, Lilias