Bone tooled leather

Greetings, all leather-binding gurus!

I have never learned how to do leather bindings. Ann
Kahle in Oakland, with whom I apprenticed, said she
wouldn't let me touch leather until I had been with
her at least 3 years.
Anyway, I saw some leather bound albums at a fancy
store in San Fran. They are made by Daisy arts and
they are called Tooled Foliage Albums. The covers have
a raised leaf motif and the description says "real
leaves are left under vegetable tanned calf skin. They
are then bone-tooled, creating amazing detail"

What is bone tooling? How does a non-leather-binder go
about trying it?

Thank you, all

Suhag

=====