Getting photos online

Hello,
I need some advice.  I am experimenting with a digital
camera (Sony Mavica) for putting some books on line.
So far, I am NOT impressed.  Fortunately the place
where I purchased the camera, let's you return it within
90 days for a full refund.
What have others used?
Peter, what was used for the online book gallery on
the book arts web site?  I thought also about
just taking photos and scanning them in but I had
high hopes for this method being faster, quicker,
better--any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Kim