Re: 600 year birthday of Gutenberg

Dave and all who might be interested -

I've forwarded your questions to my brother  (who is not on this list, =
but who=20
is a historian/sinologist like moi-m=EAme). He is doing research on the =
history=20
of the printing of Chinese characters in Europe, and he gave me some =
quick=20
info.

He said, that the principle of singe-character type slugs was developed =
in the=20
Song-period (960-1279 A.D.), but they were not widely used.

As to Korea: I have a book in front of me saying that in Korea printing =
had no=20
major impact till its re-import from Europe. But there was an imperial =
office=20
which used moveable type since the 13th century.
(The book is: Michael Giesecke. Der Buchdruck in der fr=FChen Neuzeit. =
Eine=20
historische Fallstudie =FCber die Druchsetzungneuer =
Informationstechnologien=20
(German) - first published in 1991, paperback: Frankfurt am Main 1998 - =
ISBN=20
3-5118-28957-8 - see p. 128).

By the way - if you want to get in touch with Georg, please contact me=20
off-list.

Monika