50,000 books

I was watching Charlie Rose interview Henry Louis Gates Jr. (broadcast in =
our area last night.) While Gates was in Africa filming with the BBC he =
came across a residence that had 50,000 volumes of African manuscripts =
written between the 1300's and 1500's. To me this seems nothing shy of =
astounding! I was just curious, but to put this in perspective, anyone =
know about how many extant volumes exist for the same time period from =
Europe?

Sam Nielson