Re: 50,000 books

The figures  I remember from paleo school should place it above the
million mark, but someone (not me) might have easy access to Uwe
Neddermeyer, "Moeglichkeiten und Grenzen einer quantitativen Bestimmung
der Buchproduktion im Spaetmittelalter," Gazette du Livre medieval (28),
23-32.

As Frantz Fanon pointed out, these African/European comparisons are kind
of pointless, anyhow.

 On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Sam Nielson wrote:

> I was watching Charlie Rose interview Henry Louis Gates Jr. (broadcast in =
> our area last night.) While Gates was in Africa filming with the BBC he =
> came across a residence that had 50,000 volumes of African manuscripts =
> written between the 1300's and 1500's. To me this seems nothing shy of =
> astounding! I was just curious, but to put this in perspective, anyone =
> know about how many extant volumes exist for the same time period from =
> Europe?
>
> Sam Nielson

Paul Werner, New York City
http://pages.nyu.edu/~ptw1
     DRAGONSBLOOD AND ASHES: a project to research and teach the
techniques of the Medieval scribe and artist.
     THE ORANGE PRESS: most recent titles: "Vellum Preparation:
History and Technique," and "Dragonsblood and Ashes: the Beta
Version."
     WOID: a journal of visual language in New York, including reviews,
listings and resources.

To subscribe to WOID:
http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/WOID