a rookie question

Well, here's a couple of basic questions to bring the level of discussion
down with a bang, but I really need you guys. I want to make small photo
albums (about 7X9) bound on the short side, stab binding. What is that black
paper traditionally used in old-fashioned photo books?I checked my sample
books and an 80lb classic laid paper loooked right as a swatch, but I have
other paper that weight that feels too stiff for pages. Is there a special
paper made for this purpose? Also, what would you do for spacers in the
binding of an album this size? I'm thinking of about 20 pages.

Thanks.

pat