Bone tooling and Studying Leather Bookbinding

Following the thread begun by Suhag and then continued about "bone tooling" -
It is interesting to read Don Glaister's response, with which I heartily
agree, in terms of learning about leather bookbinding. We can try anything!
If one really studies the craft and art of hand bookbinding through the
centuries, you will discover many relationships that come from the
development of all styles  And this knowledge will serve as a springboard for
trying many different approaches. The foundation is always the key.

It is a little bit disturbing, though, to see what he says about what he
teaches at the program where he is. Isn't that the program in bookbinding
that Paula Gourley started in Alabama? I know that she taught the whole range
of bookbinding- chapbooks and pamphlets to many historical styles, as well as
several approaches to
casebinding and boxmaking. After this preparation, in the second year,
bookbinding majors studied leather bookbinding based on French techniques. I
don't think Mr. Glaister designed a different program. He's following
the  strong basis developed for that school by an excellent and knowledgeable
teacher
- who, as it happens, studied with him many many years earlier.

Mila