Re: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 13 Oct 1999 to 14 Oct 1999

1. How long should one be retting flax fiber? In water
or in something else? Does anybody still add milk to
the retting vats as they did in medieval Europe?
- when I ret flax, I do it in a milk/water solution for 2 weeks ( and it
smells pretty bad!).

2. Can I make flax paper without a Hollander?
- with a stamper or a hollander - hand beating is really unrealistic

3. If yes to #2, where could I get flax fiber?
- Carriage House Papers 718-599-PULP

Robbin Ami Silverberg
Dobbin Mill, NYC