Re: From banana plant to banana fiber (for papermaking)

Hi Suhag,
I've made quite a lot of banana paper from scratch. I use the leaves as
well as the stem and chop it into pieces about 2" square cook it up with
some alkali, I use caustic soda but many people use soda ash which is
milder. You must use a stainless steel pot and cook outdoors if possible as
the fumes can be noxious. After cooking you need to wash the fibre well to
remove all of the caustic and other impurities, then beat well. The paper
shrinks much more than abaca, I don't know why, maybe someone out there
does.
I have more detailed instructions and a page of step by step photos on my
website at http://www.bluep.com/~stiffe/plant.html
Cheers
Gail
     /             Hands                                   /
   /                   on                                   /

 /                       Paper                         /
http://www.bluep.com/~stiffe

Papermakers of Victoria http://home.vicnet.net.au/~papervic
Victorian Bookbinders Guild http://home.vicnet.net.au/~bookbind