Copying tightly bound books

I have some rebound library books that have very tight bindings. I would
like to get some relatively flat copies from the margin area. If the binding
thread is cut to help the book lie flat for copying, can the book be easily
resewn together and rebound without having to trim the book again. Any
alternate suggestions that would allow such copying and do the least damage
to the book?

Paul Gough, editor
Connecticut  Agricultural Experiment Station
123 Huntington St.
P.O. Box 1106
New Haven, CT  06504-1106