[Table of Contents] [Search]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: typography question


>   dot, or is there any other fancy name for it? The explanation in the
>   encyclopedia for its development is that it was introduced in the middle
>   ages to distinuish the i from m, n, and u since all used similar strokes.
>   The patron seemed satisfied with this. However, the reference staff is
>   curious. I thought I read somewhere (?) the dot called by another name.
>   Thank you for your wisdom!

"Every jot and tittle: -- the stroke is the jot of the "i" (jot, from the Greek
iota) and the dot above it is the tittle (from Latin, titulus).

Brewers Dictionary of Phrase and Fable is fabulous for looking up just this sort
of thing.

Michael Brady
16 Pedestal Rock Lane
Durham, NC 27712
Voice  919 471 9554    fax 919 962 2707
jbrady@email.unc.edu   http://www.unc.edu/~jbrady/index.html

            BOOK_ARTS-L: The listserv for all the book arts.
      For subscription information, the Archive, and other related
            resources and links go to the Book_Arts-L FAQ at:

[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]