Re: fabric lined atlases

In a message dated 3/17/00 1:53:43 PM, suna@IQUEST.NET writes:

<< Questions: has anyone had any experience with this type of binding?
Experience with lining pages with cloth?  Know anything about the kind
of adhesive used? >>
*********************
Dear Ms. Mahoney,
We have worked on some of these Atlases when I was located in Chicago. We did
a volume for the Chicago Transit Authority.
My recollection (without checking my files) is that we deacidified the paper
and encapsulated the leaves in polyester film. Other treatments were near
impossible because of the number of pages, the condition, the various types
of media, etc. etc. The volumes were reqiured to be used on a daily basis for
further changes.

As to your questions: I assume that wheat paste was used to line the paper
with the cloth. The binding would be standard for this type of material.

Hope this helps.
Sincerely,
Bill Minter
4364 Woodbury Pike