Attaching boards with sewing, cords, tapes?

Hi friends,
Been a long time since I have posted.
I have been doing a lot of reading lately and studying various methods of
construction.  I have a few questions.

Sewing over cords and tapes:
I would like some opinions on the strength of these structures if you
execute the sewing with an exposed spine.  I did execute a sewn over cords
myself where I imbedded the cord ends between two pieces of gray board for
the front and back covers.  I have nothing to compare it to other than a
photograph in a text book.  The structure doesn't seem terribly stable.

Instead of imbedding the cords/tapes between covers, I know there are other
alternatives...such as weaving the cords/tapes though holes/slots in the
cover...or sewing the cords/tapes directly to the covers.  Do either of
these options increase stability of the structure?  Would it be suitable for
a book that would have daily use?  Personal opinions wanted.  :)

Coptic  style of attaching boards but not a Coptic?
I have executed many a Coptic binding... but a long while ago I saw a
picture of a finished small structure that appealed to me and haven't been
able to identify the process of the sewing.  It wasn't a Coptic binding as
it didn't have the tell tail "chain link" stitch going across the spine of
the book.  It was a five section book.  (5 signatures)  It did have what
appears to be a kettle stitch at top and bottom, but the stitches between
them were 2 sets of long stitches.  (six sewing stations in all) The two
sets of long stitches formed an X where on the last pass of sewing the
stitch passed under the previous stitches before continuing.  There were no
tapes involved....and the most puzzling thing of all was that the boards
were sewn on as well....only in two places...at the top and bottom kettle
stitch through a hole in the board..about 1/4 of an inch in.  I've tried to
recreate this stitch in my models, and have no problem with the kettle or
the linking long stitch...but am completely stumped as to the board
connecting stitches.  In the photograph it was referred to by the very
non-descript name of a "Medieval Binding".  :)

I do not have  the photograph, so I can't forward it for referral.  I am
working from detailed notes and sketches in my journal I made from studying
the binding in the photograph.  Is anyone out there familiar with this
rather lacking description of mine that might be able to help?

One note I did make in my journal (that I haven't tried in my models as it
seemed to "odd") was....could the kettle stitch at top and bottom actually
be a sewing over cords?  Where the cords ends are then used to attach the
boards?  It just seemed too unlikely that you would combine a sewing over
cords with an unsupported longstitch...but stranger things have happened.
:)  If this is the case...how would you execute the attachment of the boards
after slipping the cords through?  A simple over hand knot?  Seems
unlikely....but I don't know any better.

Diagram:
______          _______  Boards  top
        o     .....    o   board hole, sewing, board hole

                X          long stitch

                X          long stitch

         o    .....    o    board hole, sewing, board hole
______          _______     Boards bottom
          open spine

Thanks for any help.
Only good things,