Re: weights

>With all this talk about lead and marble used as weights (I use several
>3/4" thick chipboard boards, stacked), I'm wondering how much weight, in
>pounds, one should be using altogether?

That's a bit like asking "how long is a piece of string"? It really depends
on what you are using them for. Pasting paper to paper requires less weight
than pasting paper to board, for example. If the board absorbs much water
from the paste, extra weight will be needed to counteract the board's
attempt to curl as it dries. Similarly with paper: if the papers absorb or
dry at different rates, wrinkles can occur, so you need enough weight to
keep them *flat*. Also, the more layers there are under weight the greater
number of forces at work as the different layers/materials expand and
contract. There is a trade-off though: if you use too much weight you run
the risk of changing (usually by flattening) any texture inherent in your
materials. Never put a weight directly on your object: distribute the
weight over a larger area by putting a piece of smooth-surfaced board,
masonite, plywood, etc, between your material and the weight. I also put a
clean sheet of paper between the material and the board.

The small pieces of printer's furniture I use weigh between two and four
ounces (I guess) and the antique flatirons probably weigh five pounds (I
have three). I also have a small industrial spool of copper wire (it still
has its original paper wrapper marked GE) which weighs about ten or twelve
pounds. They are all easy to handle and can be stacked for added weight.

Regards,
Richard