[Table of Contents] [Search]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Foreedges

--- On Thu, 6 Apr 2000 Bill Whitley wrote:
The "plough" is the traditional method of smoothing edges.
Jost Amman depicts a binder using one in his "Book of Trades"

Mine is homemade:


(Click on the small image to enlarge it.) There are books with
instructions on how to make them, if you (or someone you know)
have reasonable woodworking skills.
--- end of quote ---

A variation of the traditional plough is the vertical plough sold by Sheppards
in London (and in the U.S. both by TALAS and Bookmakers, I believe).  You could
probably build one yourself.  The commercial version is about $550.

It uses the same action of the plough - cutting a few pages at a time with a
French leather paring knife-like blade which is moved across the page with a
handle and screw adjustment to move the blade further into the book - but the
vertical plough orients the book flat on its front or back instead of standing
straight up.  (See Bill's picture on his web page for the traditional plough.)
The vertical name comes from the orientation of the blade, not the book, which
is definitely horizontal.

I think that the vertical plough is much easier to use since you don't have to
fight gravity to get the book in the correct position for trimming.  Any one
else have opinions of one versus the other?


 Eric Alstrom       Hanover, NH
 Book: Artist | Binder | Conservator

            BOOK_ARTS-L: The listserv for all the book arts.
      For subscription information, the Archive, and other related
            resources and links go to the Book_Arts-L FAQ at:

[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]