Re: Size Question

I have done reprints of broadsides for several years. I have found every
size you can think of. from small 4x6 to 24x36 and beyond.

I personally think the standardization of today removes some of the
creativity and imagination of yesterday.

I think that for the most part, the senerio went something like this.
1. A potential customer had a message to post.
2. A printer considered the message.
3. Using available type faces and paper stock the printer designed a
"Broadside".

The available type was a major factor in these decisions. The 10s of
thousands of faces and millions of sizes available today on the computer was
not even a dream. I have some broadsides which mixed faces and sizes which
today would be cause to banish the printer from the ranks of the elite. The
printer was the man in charge in those days and told the customer what was
possible. Not the other way around.

tks

aj