Re: Foredges

I remember seeing a photograph showing a person standing on a board
hand-trimming (using the edge of the board as a guide) a book which was
under the board and being clamped by his weight.

Richard

>I still prefer the old Japanese method I learned when I was an apprentice
>to a Master in Kyoto (name/place dropping is allowed, isn't it?). After
>sewing and preparing the spine, sharpen your best knife, mark up the cut
>line, hold down a heavy ruler like grim death, and cut the pages by hand.
>If you think , "I'm only slicing one page at a time." you'll relax and
>swing from the shoulder and your edge-cutting will be "like butta!"

Richard Miller <rmiller@peterboro.net>
Newsletter Editor & Webmaster
The Canadian Bookbinders and Book Artists Guild:
<http://www.cbbag.ca>

though I speak only for myself