Re: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 6 Apr 2000 to 7 Apr 2000 (#2000-96)

This is in reply to the matter of cutting paper square. I use scrap plywood
and drive three finishing nails into it, two in line and one at the base. [
:  . ] This forms a perfect right angle. Then I cut a scrap of hardboard the
exact size of my text block and square! Fold paper and put into signatures,
place each signature under the hardboard and simply cut with a sharp
scalpel, chisel, razor knife, etc. but sharp. Two sides (foredge and top (or
bottom) are perfectly matched. All signatures are square to each other. Then
the entire text block is ready for treatment (painting or gilding or
whatever). I have been doing this for years mainly for gilding. Then sew the
text block together, this makes a 'rustic gilt' top edge or fore edge.

John Ellis Crosby
Bookbinder & Medieval Postmodernist
Olympia, Washington