[Table of Contents] [Search]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Hand Riveting (Peening) Tool Wanted

><< I'm looking for a Hand Riveting (sometimes called "peening") tool....

The basic peening tool is a ball peen hammer; that's the one with a
round head on one end.

Most any good hardware store should have (or be able to order) a rivet
set; failing that, you can do what I've done in the past when I needed
a rivet larger or smaller than the rivet sets were gauged for.

Make your own.  Using a drill press (a hand drill will work, but it
takes a steady hand and close attention) and a drill bit as large
as the rivet head you are making, drill the beginning of a hole.  Just
enough of the drill bit to make a rounded indentation in a piece of
stronger metal than what your rivet will be made from.

In my case, I've made rivets from brass or bronze, so mild steel
was enough.

The rounded end of the rivet was formed by gently pounding the other
end of the brass/bronze rod into the hole.  After cutting the rod to
length, the other end was peened down with a ball peen hammer; that
end would be covered up by the pastedown.


Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Lab.
Portland, Oregon

(503)735-3942 (voice/fax)


            BOOK_ARTS-L: The listserv for all the book arts.
      For subscription information, the Archive, and other related
            resources and links go to the Book_Arts-L FAQ at:

[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]