microcrystalline wax

Hi folks,

We're having a hard time getting a supply of microcrystalline wax for an
upcoming book repair workshop; Bookmarkers is back-ordered. (We use it to
wax thread, instead of beeswax which is acidic.) We were referred to a
ceramic supply house, which has other grades of clear petroleum-based wax,
one of which is fairly hard and has a very high melting point.

Does anyone know whether that would be a reasonable substitute?

thanks

Normandy Helmer
Head, Preservation & Binding Dept./
Oregon Newspaper Project