Flat opening (was Glues Info)

I like Long Stitch for a book that opens flat and still has some spine
protection (as opposed to a Coptic style binding.)  In fact I just took my
Mozart piano sonatas book apart and rebound it as a long stitch book because
the pages wouldn't open flat.  The first and last signatures had ripped out.
The last page of each section had been glued to the first page of the next
section along the inner edge.  I'll concede that it made the book stronger,
but that page wouldn't lie down right so when it stood on the piano it would
bow out and make a shadow.  It was driving me nuts.  Fortunately being a
book binder I knew just what to do about it!

Joyce Jenkins,
Petersburg, Alaska