Re: Storing Paper

In a message dated 4/25/00 2:28:55 PM, dguff@HUMBOLDT1.COM writes:

<<  if I cover the cardboard and the cardboard tubes with acid-free
tissue paper, if this will safeguard my art paper?  >>

This is a good question that may not have an immediate (and correct) answer.
I do not think that a simple sheet of acid-free tissue will take care of your
storage problem. The acid in the corrugated board is far more than can be
handled by the acid-free paper. As the tissue becomes acidic, the acid will
transfer to your good paper.
A barrier of polyester film, i.e. Mylar, may be better, but it still may not
protect sufficiently. A better barrier would be an aluminized polypropylene
material called Marvelseal available from conservation suppliers. Although I
have not used Marvelseal, I do know that most plastic films breathe which
could allow acidic gases to filter through. The aluminum coating should
prevent any transfer. That is why some of our foods are being packaged in
aluminum coated plastic films.

See related item under similar heading.

Good Luck,
Bill Minter