Stab Binding - materials & technique

Hello friends!

Do those among us who do Japanese-style stab binding
ever find that the binding gets loose after a few
months? Some of my stab bindings do that and I
wondered if it would help to wet the thread before I
bind so that it contracts as it dries, thereby
resulting in a "tighter bind".

Also, what kind of binding thread would be decorative
as well as functional? I've been using raffia which
looks very nice but I can't guarantee how it will
last. Is there another material which looks like
raffia but is easier to use and gives a better end
product?

Hello Brian Q, hello Paula-Marie, hello Betty!

Regards,
Suhag