Re: Stab Binding - materials & technique

Suhag,

I've made quite a few side stab books over the years. My earlier ones
tended to loosen up in time. Looking at some very old Japanese books, I
discovered that the book blocks were bound (tacked) prior to the
side-stab binding for the cover. Some of these inner bindings (for lack
of a better word) were possibly silk threads and others were twisted
paper.

Since using this method none of my bindings have loosened up (unless I
did a lousy job of binding).

Hope this helps,
John