Re: Stab Binding - materials & technique

Yes, this inner binding is a big key to keeping the book together, and also
helps in the binding process.  I believe all the inner bindings (which I
also call a staple, since the Japanese form usually has a pair of holes at
two locations) were originally done with paper.  Perhaps the silk threads
that John Tonai saw were replacements.

As to the outer (visible) sewing, silk is the traditional thread.  If you
have access to "Japanese Bookbinding: Instructions from a Master Craftsman"
by Kojiro Ikegami I think you'll see one of two important elements here.  I
use the method where the thread is started and ended through the spine, not
at the side of the book.  And when using silk I knot the thread around
itself at the last station before exiting the needle and thread at the
spine.  This knot (or knots, since in some cases I do it on both sides of
the book) can sink into the book and be invisible while still adding that
extra bit of non-slip protection.

Others have mentioned using linen thread.  Embroidery threads and thicker
cottons are also nice.  And metal wires and paper threads and ...
Cathy Atwood
Missouri Local Records Program