Re: Adhesive removal

Many years ago I purchased two miniature watercolors and promptly put them
in a drawer.  I recently took them out to frame and noticed the artist had
put masking tape on the back to hold it to the mat.  The masking tape is
yellowed but does remove fairly easily.  However, it is leaving a residue of
adhesive.  Is there any safe (and easy for an amateur) way to remove the
adhesive without ruining the painting.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Angee Cobb