Removing adhesives

Some years ago I was doing some simple conservational work in the University
Library of Oslo, and I recall using something called "fullers earth" to
clean paper. I guess this was mainly for removing dirt.

Has anyone on the list any experience with the use of this? I`d like a
description of the process, and could this also be used for extracting glue
from the paper?

Sincerely,

Hans Y. Olsen
Oerenbergs Bokbinderi AS