Help with Sketchbook

I lurk most of the time on this list and really enjoy the posts.  But this
time, I have a question of my own.  I am still very much a novice at
bookbinding.

I have a hardbound sketchbook that I carry with me all the time.  Recently, I
noticed that the bookblock has pulled away from the spine about halfway.  I
would really like to repair it.  Should I simply glue it back?  What glue
would be best?  This book is the typical black sketchbook that you find in
all the art stores.

I really appreciate your help.  This sketchbook has traveled around with me
for two years and is full of sketches and notes that have so many memories
attached to it.

Thanks,

Ginn