Hi from a Newbie

Good afternoon -

I have just subscribed, so I thought I'd introduce myself briefly. I also
have a question right off the bat.

I am a calligrapher now and then in my spare time, have been involved in
that art in varying degrees for 35 years. I have done a little book-making
now and then and will probably do more, so I'm glad I was prompted to
subscribe after doing a web search on paste paper. I work for a museum /
historical site as Collections Manager in real life.

My question is this: Does any of you know anything about the history of
paste paper? How old it is, and where and when it has been used in the
past? I have been asked to do a demonstration at our Revolutionary War-era
site, and I thought that paste paper would be easy to do and would appeal
to children and adults alike, but if it wasn't invented until 1893 I'm up a
creek. I could do copperplate writing, but somehow working with quill pens
and trying to teach such an exacting skill to a mixed audience is not
attractive to me.

Any help you could give will be much appreciated.
TIA,
Anne
Anne T. Lane, Registrar
Museum of York County