Re: Canadian kvetching

> The boorish American provincial dunderhead center of the universe! Well,
> that's
> a new one!
>
> I'd like to post a message especially for all the many Canadian subscribers
> who
> think, as Michael seems to, that (many, some, all ??) Americans are loutish
> oafs--but ... quel dommage! I don't know French well enough to compose a
> proper
> bilingual (--French en haute, s'il vous plait--) messagae to get permission
> from
> the Montreal Politburo for Linguistic Purity and Parity.
>
> Everybody has a story of how ____________ the __________ese person acted,
> *just
> like the caricatures in the cine!* Snooty Frenchies worried about their
> evaporating cultural ascendency, up-tight Brits upon whose empire the sun sets
> often each day, hot-blooded Latins, cha cha cha, etc.
>

> -------------------
> Michael Brady

Loutish Oafs? No. But please understand, we're inundated with American
'culture' here-from Wal-Mart to Oprah! In addition Free trade has ruined our
magazine industry and threatens the livelihood of many 'North of the
border'. Now I am not a patriot or particularly fond of borders, but I grow
tired of living in the shadow of such an aggressive consumer of the world-a
voice so loud it drowns out others. We have to watch and question that voice
in ourselves-and isn't that what the production of art (and perhaps
conservation) is about? Making our voice, other voices, lost voices heard in
the mediated landscape of our present world.

Just a thought.

Michael