Re: Canadian spelling (Bookbinding 2000?)

 Actually, Peter and the list, while I was watching Tony Cains do his
wet leather manipulation (yes, it is a little obscene if you have a
good, not to say fertile, imagination) binding, it was running through
my mind that if one took Tony's suggestion about doing the techique on a
mylar base instead of the actual book, letting the leather dry, and then
transferring it to the book, the technique might also work using some
kinds of paper instead of leather.  Whew! sorry to put that all in one
sentence. Paper might not stand for as much hand manipulation, but I am
sure some of the tougher fiber papers could take it...  Did this switch
in materials come to the mind of anyone else who saw the demonstration?
How about a half binding, leather on the spine and wet mold paper design
on the boards?  I am pretty sure Faith Shannon's book on Paper Pleasures
describes some thing similar, but I may be recalling textured paste
papers.
  For those unfamiliar with the technique Cains was demonstrating, as
part of the covering procedure the wet leather is twisted and pushed
with the fingers and palm of the hand to form raised patterns on the
book boards resembling the ripples of water, or the patterns receding
water leaves in beach sand.  Some brusing of the leather occurs, so the
surface of the leather is also mottled in the process.
  Dorothy Africa