Re: Hi from a Newbie

Hi,

I have been away for a week and am now digging through my email.  Your letter
from late last week may already have been answered, but if not, here is a
reference for you:  Rosamond B. Loring, DECORATED BOOK PAPERS (Cambridge,
Harvard College Library, 1973) Third Edition.  Loring included some pages
about the history of paste papers, as well as other kinds of decorated
materials (marbling, for example).  Paste paper is an old technique, and it
was in use in the 18th century at about the time of the Revolution, possibly
earlier.  It was used in Europe at least from the late 15th century.  The
Loring book is surely available somewhere in your area.

Carol Pratt
Eugene, OR
---------