Advice sought concerning aged paper

Greetings to the List from Australia.

We should like to ask a question to the group, but first, may we
indulge you with a preamble?

We have recently acquired a large quantity of wove papers, originating
from English and Italian paper mills.  Some are still in their
original packaging, as shipped from the mills in Europe, whilst others
are loose sheets.  The sizes vary, but are as large as one might
purchase from an artist supply shop.  They have been sitting in a
warehouse for about 40 years, and have not been touched.  Some have
soiled edges and margins, due to accumulated dust, and some are
slightly faded.  Most are in VG condition.  All are uncoated, and
ivory or cream in colour, except one paper, which is light yellow in
colour.

The papers are from the following mills:

Fabriano, in Italy (name watermarked)
T.H. Saunders (name watermarked, including the year 1959).  Two
distinct weights
J. Green (probably J. Barcham Green)  (name is small blind-embossed in
corner)
Grosvenor Chater Ltd (no watermarkings)

The weights range from about 110 to about 180 grams per square metre,
which, in non-metric terms, loosely means a range from good endpaper
paper, to good artist or limited edition printable paper.  The first
three named papers are deckle edged, and are probably cylinder made,
but they are all superior quality.  It would appear that they are not
hand made, because they have a grain.  (Do we have this correct?)
They also have surfaces which are not pressed smooth, like many modern
papers.

In relation to the lower-weighted papers particularly, we would like
to use them as endpapers.  We find that they easily suit the ambience
and feel of old books.  When restoring C18th, C19th and to some extent
C20th books, and particularly when constructing sophisticated
endpapers, sometimes requiring 4-6 folded sheets per book, it is
important that the paper used be in sympathy with the rest of the
book, and not appear our of character.  A number of these papers are
suitable from this point of view.

The question:

Would any of the learned group like to comment on the use of this old
paper in old books being restored, from valuable C18th and C19th
works, through to the large family Bibles of the latter half of the
C19th.  Does anyone know whether the paper from this period (1950-60),
is considered "good" quality, and archivally sound?  This is the
crucial point.

If you have got this far, well, that is good, for your attention span
must be excellent!

Your comments are appreciated.  It seems a pity not to put such
quality paper to good use.  Had we not acquired it, the intention of
the previous owner was to....give the paper to some of the local
kindergartens for drawing on!!

Peter Krantz.

Book Restorations.
34 Clanville Road,
Roseville,
N.S.W.        2069,
Australia.

(P.O. Box 500,  North Sydney,  N.S.W.  2059.)

Telephone:  +61 2 9416.9900
Fax:  +61 2 9416.6800
Email:  bkfndrs@ozemail.com.au

Established:  1976