Re: Advice sought concerning aged paper

Dorythy, Peter and all,

> What I am curious about is the reference you make to handmade paper not
> having grain, which is certainly contrary to my experience. Some poured
> papers have a less pronounced grain, but any laid paper is bound to have
> grain, handmade or machine, surely?

Any handmade mould paper, whether it be 'laid' or 'wove' will NOT have a
grain direction.  Paper grain direction is imparted when fibres fall on to a
moving belt or conveyer in a uniform direction as is normal in mechanical
paper manufacture.

Better quality machine made papers which have long fibres will have a more
apparent grain direction than for example, newsprint paper which has very
short fibres.

kind regards,

David

David Lanning