Repair of wood-covered book

I am in the process of repairing a small (4 x 6) New Testament, wood
covered, made by Vester & Co., American Colony Stores, Jerusalem,
Palestine. No date is printed in the cheaply bound book but the handwritten
message on the first blank page is dated 1939.

The owner said the cover boards are rosewood, not plywood. They are still
in very good condition. The board papers, front and back, had torn and had
been repaired with scotch tape. They had been glued to the wood only around
the edges, probably to avoid warping the rosewood. In replacing the
endpapers, I will attach them in the same way, naturally.

My question is whether I should use paste or glue. I've experimented with
paste on wood, finished and unfinished, and found that the paper lifts off
easily when dry. I may have answered my own question, but would like to
hear comments.

Betty
Betty Storz   storz@mcn.org
Mendocino, CA