Re: Advice sought concerning aged paper

--------------33E9DD13404C919F755BC099

    I just checked in with my Email  and noticed this thread.
    Earlier this morning I was pasting down some Fabriano Roma (a handmade
paper) and noticed the strength of the grain.

Bob Muens

"David M. Lanning" wrote:

> Dorythy, Peter and all,
>
> > What I am curious about is the reference you make to handmade paper not
> > having grain, which is certainly contrary to my experience. Some poured
> > papers have a less pronounced grain, but any laid paper is bound to have
> > grain, handmade or machine, surely?
>
> Any handmade mould paper, whether it be 'laid' or 'wove' will NOT have a
> grain direction.  Paper grain direction is imparted when fibres fall on to a
> moving belt or conveyer in a uniform direction as is normal in mechanical
> paper manufacture.
> Better quality machine made papers which have long fibres will have a more
> apparent grain direction than for example, newsprint paper which has very
> short fibres.
>
> kind regards,
>
> David
>
> David Lanning
> J. Hewit & Sons Ltd.
> sales@hewit.com
> www.hewit.com
> Tel: +44 (0)20 8965 5377
> Fax: +44 (0)20 8453 0414

--------------33E9DD13404C919F755BC099

begin:vcard
n:Muens;Bob
tel;work:(305) 293-8881
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Bookbinding and Conservation
adr:;;513 Fleming Street, Suite 5;Key West;Florida;33040;
version:2.1
email;internet:Bob@Flakeysol.com
fn:Bob Muens
end:vcard