Re: Advice sought concerning aged paper

At 09:44 PM 15-06-2000 +1000, you wrote:
>We have recently acquired a large quantity of wove papers, originating
>from English and Italian paper mills.  . . .
>Would any of the learned group like to comment on the use of this old
>paper in old books being restored, from valuable C18th and C19th
>works, through to the large family Bibles of the latter half of the
>C19th.  Does anyone know whether the paper from this period (1950-60),
>is considered "good" quality, and archivally sound?  This is the
>crucial point.

I think what you need to do first is check the acid content of the papers -
if they are acidic, you wouldn't want to introduce them into valuable old
books. The other concern, from my point of view, would be the storage
conditions under which they were kept. If there is any danger of mold or
mildew infestation, these papers would be a hazard both to you and your
staff and to the books themselves. Perhaps a paper conservator should be
consulted. As to the historical suitability of these papers - other folks
will have to help you there.
Anne
Anne T. Lane, Registrar
Museum of York County