From: Dorothy Africa [mailto:africa@LAW.HARVARD.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2000 9:17 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: Advice sought concerning aged paper

  Thanks for joining in on this question, David.  I am still in doubt,
though, since it was my thought that the papermakers's "shake" caused
the paper fiber to align in the direction of the shake, usually along
the chain lines of the mould, the short direction in most laid
handmades.  I would certainly agree that the western machine made papers
I use often show a stronger grain than the better handmades, but the
handmades I use do have a grain strong enough to matter in some cases as
to how they fold, lie on the text block, and react to adhesives.  Now I
am interested enough to try some experiments!
 Dorothy