Re: Plywood boards

Hi, Jack and all the medievalists at sea...

I wonder if the problem with wooden boards can't be alleviated through the
following medieval practices:

1) Gelatin or hide glue solution, but starting *very* liquid so as to
penetrate the wood deeply. Also keeps it from checking, btw.

2) Same with small amounts of CA (gesso sottile, whiting, whatever). As I
recall that works to isolate wall frescoes from possible leaching. Another
Jane Jacobs thought concerning the way certain craft practices feed into
others, e.g. fresco to binding. The whiting is nearly invisible in the
boards anyhow.

3) From my own experience the greater problem with ply is the dry rot that
develops in the sealed hollow areas. Having which said, I have ply boards
that I've used for tempera twenty years ago that seem fine today. Except
for the broccoli, but that's another issue...

Paul Werner, New York City
http://pages.nyu.edu/~ptw1
     DRAGONSBLOOD AND ASHES: a project to research and teach the
techniques of the Medieval scribe and artist.
     THE ORANGE PRESS: most recent titles: "Vellum Preparation:
History and Technique," and "Dragonsblood and Ashes: the Beta
Version."
     WOID: a journal of visual language in New York, including reviews,
listings and resources.