Re: Aged paper, and, paper grain

Dear List Members,

Last week, we asked the List a question concerning our recently
acquired stock of European mill papers dating from about 1960.

The response was quite overwhelming, and we should like to thank you
all.  Most agreed that the paper needed testing for pH, and that if
acidic, they would need deacidifying, which we will probably do
anyway,
particularly on the older, more valuable items we work on.

What we are going to do with seven thousand five hundred sheets of
paper, we
still do not know, but at least we saved them from the kindergarten's,
as many of the folk pointed out!

But aside from our original enquiry, the most important outcome was
the discussion on grain direction in machine made and handmade papers.
It seems that a number of myths were dissolved by Richard Grant's
enlightening journey down the canals of his paper making machine.

And Dorothy's experiment  indeed seems to prove that handmade paper
can, and probably usually does, have a grain, and that we must all be
watchful of this.

Best to you all.  You're a goodly bunch.