Re: About paper grain

>With your explanation, as a sheet gets "wet" and "dry" with constant
changes
>in the storage environment, maybe it could be viewed as being constrained
>differently by itself (where the sheet is attached to itself, versus where
>the tears are).  So the tensions in the sheet change.

I have always heard that paper has a memory, meaning that the way it is
constrained when dried the very first time creates a grain and/or shape
(perfectly flat or cockled) that the paper is inclined to return to if it is
moistened and dried again without restraint. Maybe Richard can comment on
how much actual change might occur with subsequent environmental influences.
(?)

Best wishes,
Roberta
paper@oregontrail.net