Re: About paper grain

At 07:32 PM 06/19/2000 -0400, you wrote:
...When wet, paper can expand in the cross direction by 2 to 3%.
>In the machine direction, it expands 10 times less and might
>actually shrink a little depending on type of paper and how
>it is stretched during manufacture. ...snip
...By the way, cockle should not be confused with dishing and
>fluting which occurs at the edges of a stack of sheets, or
>edges of a book. In this case, the edges of the stack
>exchange mositure more rapidly that does the center of
>the stack and this results in the edges being longer (or
>shorter) than the center. This will cause wavy patterns along
>the edges if they have absorbed moisture and expanded,
>or tight edges which form dish shapes if they have given
>up moisture and shrunk. If you make end sheets by pasting
>papers together and then placing them between blotters,
>you will have some beautifully distorted paper edges if you
>don't change the blotters often so that the moisture goes
>primarily into the blotters and not to the air around the
>edges - one practical example.

I once made endsheets by pasting Japanese Suminagashi to the text paper I
was using. Someone who should have known better had told me that no
Japanese paper had grain so I hadn't checked. I found out as soon as I
pasted the two together; the Suninagashi had been cut cross grain and could
not be pasted without wrinkling badly. Luckily, I had more paper and could
start over.

>I hope this has been helpful.

Helpful! It has been invaluable.

Betty