Re: Paper Grain

Folks, this is where I came in (but I'm not leaving). I joined the List in
the Spring of 1998. On June 15, 1998, I posted my first message in response
to one about paper grain. The archive shows several postings in that thread
for the middle of June that year. The subject has been discussed other
times since then and, as newbies (bless them) subscribe, it will come up
again and again.

I don't remember ever seeing as scholarly a report on how grain direction
is set in the formation of paper as was given to us by Richard P. Grant in
his letter of June 19, 2000.

I also want to thank Richard for his information on the comparative
expansion of paper across grain and in the machine direction. In all the
bookbinding books I have studied, I have never heard of "dishing" or
"fluting." All the authors use "cockle" to name the wrinkles and ripples
resulting from improper drying or changes in humidity. Thanks to Richard, I
know better now.

And Thank you, Charles, for the reminder about Reemay. I do use it and know
it works.

Nothing is simple. In laminating two sheets of paper, or pasting down the
board paper, even though the rate of expansion is close, the grain
direction of both must be the same. And it makes a difference to which the
paste is applied, the paper being pasted down or the substrate. I won't get
into that.) Then, drying must be done under weight.

Most of us know by now that the grain of all materials used in binding a
book must be parallel to the spine. But how can you tell the grain of the
boards, the paper, and the bookcloth when it isn't obvious?

That's another letter.

Betty
Betty Storz   storz@mcn.org
Mendocino, CA